After releasing the dope video for « GamGino« , the homie Young Jahcee took some time to answer the world famous « Mixtape Addict » questions ! Let’s take a flight to Orlando in Florida… Check out the interview below :
- Who is your all time favorite DJ ?
DJ Premier is my favorite disc jockey of all-time.
- How did you come up with the concept for the « GamGino » video ?
I’m a huge fan of Atlanta FX. Binge watching that show along with me being a fan of Childish Gambino‘s Royalty Mixtape caused me to create this version/visual/song of GamGino. Though I was raised in Orlando, I’m often in Atlanta. Geography wise, Georgia is literally right above Florida. Since ATL is where Childish Gambino is from, I thought it would be cool to make a song in hommage to the two cities, two worlds (Atlanta FX and West Orlando as I know it), and two people (myself and Gambino). There’s even an episode of Atlanta FX where they talk about « Florida Man, » which I find to be hilarious. In real life, most people know me as Gino, which sounds like Bino. I fused the name Gambino and fused Gino to make GamGino. I’ve had this idea for GamGino since like 2014 but it changed tremendously from the original idea over the years.
- Your visuals are dope and we know that you are also a filmmaker. What influenced you to pursue this path in addition to music ?
I see rap music as storytelling upon instrumentation. So in order to stay sharp on my storytelling when I’m not making music, I decided to put my efforts into filmmaking. I’m most happy when I’m being creative and filmmaking provides me that safe haven.
- What’s the movie that influenced you the most ?
Coming to America and Do The Right Thing are two films that have influenced me a lot.
- Where do you see the future of hip-hop in 5 years ?
I think more artists will start studying the great rappers from the 90s for inspiration and a new renaissance will begin.
- If you could stay a weekend in the studio to get a EP done with two producers, who would you pick ?
I would choose Trackmasters and Pharrell.
- What’s next for you ? What are you working on right now ?
I am working on my debut EP and finishing my last semester of grad school (filmmaking)
- Any words of advice for the young upcoming artists and filmmakers ?
Be yourself no matter what anybody says about you. Be your biggest fan. Your legacy is at stake. Make the best of what you have, forever. Enjoy what you do!
FOLLOW YOUNG JAHCEE ON SOCIAL MEDIAS :