Residing in Oakland, California, hip-hop artist Mike Fish has been working his way into the underground scene. He recently dropped his album « Train Tracks » on Bandcamp (and all streaming platforms) and decided to sit down with the Mixtape Addict crew for an exclusive interview :
- Who is your all time favorite DJ ?
That’s a hard question, because if it’s come down to one DJ, I would have to go with DJ Abilities. His living mixing and scratching blew me away more than anybody I can think of. Runner up would be Scratch Bastid.
- You’re a man of different activities : rapper, producer and founder of Mindscape Productions. What gives you the drive to do all that ?
I love music. I’m a rapper first, but I had to learn how to produce so I could make beats that sounded the way they did in my head; then the production side of things just kind of grew from there. Mindscape was the best name I could think of for all that.
- If you could stay a weekend in the studio to get a EP done with two producers, who would you pick ?
The RZA and DJ Premier.
- You’re now residing in Oakland, California. The bay area is full of history in terms of hip-hop. Who is your favorite MC from the bay ?
Gift of Gab
- If you had 3 words to define your music, what would you say ?
Real, Raw and Familiar.
- You’ve just recently released your album « Train Tracks« . What’s your recipe to make a strong album from start to finish ?
First, a production formula that speaks to my style, an environment that feels dope when writing my rhymes and untampered creative freedom.
- You have shared the stage with legends like Method Man, KRS One or Talib Kweli…What’s your most memorable stage performance ?
I performed on a rooftop in Habana, Cuba. It was a beautiful night, the energy was high and it was an amazing night.
- Do you have any advice for the upcoming artists ?
Keep it real, stick to your guns, try to stay sober as possible and have fun.
- Where can people purchase your music and show support ?